When your child is ill or injured it is very difficult to decide if/when to call your child’s GP, NHS 111, or go the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E). While the government is asking everyone to stay at home, it can be confusing to know what to do. Here is some guidance from the NHS around what to do.

It is important for parents and families to understand that our local emergency departments are still open for anyone who needs it. If you think your child has a very serious or life-threatening condition you must go to A&E or call 999.

If your child has a minor injury, please go to your nearest Minor Injuries Units at:

  • South Bristol Community Hospital, Hengrove
  • North Somerset Community Hospital, Clevedon
  • West Gate Centre, Yate

If your child has a minor illness please contact your GP practice.

For 24/7 advice please go to 111.nhs.uk.